Friday, June 5, 2009

Keeping Busy in Kyoto

Today was an absolutely amazing experience. But before I go on about that I want to recall yesterday.

Yesterday, we spent our morning traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto. Once we arrived we went to the Kyocera headquarters. They are a very green company that has their hand in all kinds of products; everything from ceramic plates and knives to printer/copier machines and even jewelry! The museum was kind of low-key (it was nice, don't get me wrong, but not as high-energy as everything thus far has been). It was a nice change of pace.

After that, we all went out to eat at a small restaurant that Dr. Tamashiro recommended. It was very pleasant. All the employees there were very kind and fun. I could tell that they really liked their jobs. When they thought no one was looking (except for me because I apparently didn't have anything better to do) they were dancing and being goofy in the lobby area. Very cute and amusing. I'd like to go back there. The food was really good, too. Their idea of "French Fries" was interesting as well... They use a kind of sweet potato and then put butter and honey on them, so it's kind of like a waffle. It was interesting.

Okay. So today we began with my presentation on Ritsumeikan University and the Kyoto Museum for World Peace. Following, we visited both starting with the museum. It was absolutely stunning. I really wish that we had been allowed to take photos of the exhibits but unfortunately it was disallowed. It's understandable, though. I did get some of the main lobby area where it was allowed so I plan to use those in my Wikibook report. I also wish that we had more time to look at the museum but we ran short. Our volunteer tour guides were also great. Very knowledgeable and kind, and also inquisitive of our own opinions and experiences in our respective countries of such topics as education on WWII and the Atomic Bombs. It was cool to be able to compare notes with them on these issues.

Overall, the museum was a very powerful experience. It was a very honest and emotional portrayal of the consequences of war and also such issues as starvation that keep our world from truely being at peace. They asked a question in the beginning of the tour which was thought-provoking throughout our trip and it was something like this: "If there is no war, is the world really at peace?" And one of the points that the museum tries to send home is that this is not true. Just because there is no war does not mean that everything in the world is great and wonderful. In order for true peace to happen, everyone needs to be able to live to the full potential of their being. Without proper food, shelter, education, freedom from persecution and hard, etc. is this made possible. At the end of the trip we were asked to ponder on how we can help to make such a thing a reality on our world. Again, I'll say that it was very powerful.

After our museum tour we were invited to eat lunch in one of the school's cafeterias. Joining us were several students and faculty of the school. I wish I had had more of a chance to get to know all of the nice people joining us but time did not allow. They were all very kind and welcoming.

After a yummy lunch we participated in an International Studies class which focuses on Peace Studies. All of the students in the class are supposed to be researching about a different Peace Museum somewhere else in the world and reporting back to the class at the end of the semester. It seems very interesting. I had the opportunity to sit with a group of students who were still undecided in their respective Peace Museum choices. They were students who didn't really want to be in the class but registered late and had no choice. I found that very amusing. It was nice talking with them, though. I was able to inquire their opinions on a range of topics such as the education system in Japan which is another field I am studying for this course.

After finishing with the class we remained at Ritsumeikan for a meeting of sorts with the museum curator, Dr. Ikuro Anzai, and several other staff and students of Ritsumeikan. There were various snacks and tea served. It was very nice. We spoke to the group of our opinions of their museum as well as compared and contrasted it to the Yasakuni Shrine War Museum that we visisted a few days ago. At least an hour went by as we all conversed and several speaches were made. I figured that after all was said and done it would be time to go get dinner and explore Kyoto with the group. I was very surprised when we were invited at the last minute to all go out to eat together.

We went across the street to a traditional Japanese restuarant (we sat on the floor and everything) and were treated to a variety of foods. Anzai-sensei picked up the tab but we insisted that we let us pay him back for it so he compromised and let us pay him back a little but he still picked up most of the tab. I couldn't believe it. We ate a lot of food!! And while I didn't really have much, everyone else drank a lot! It was a really great time. I really had fun and learned a lot. I also had the opportunity to speak with another student, Minami-san, about Psychology studies in Japan as she is a Social Welfare major (I believe she said). It is similar to my major and thus we have taken much of the same classes, I imagine. I am very interested in learning about the Japanese curriculum. I am hoping to talk with her again later.

Tomorrow night we are planning to go out to Karaoke with several of the same people from tonight. I am very much looking forward to it.

Everyone that we have met here has been so gracious and polite to us. I feel like I am some special, important person! It is really unbelieveable that we have been allowed to meet with some of the high-status people that we have. When I first read the description for this class I figured that we would take a few tours, go to a few lectures, and it would be very impersonal. I never expected to be able to talk one-on-one with such important people. This is the coolest class ever.

I am sure that tomorrow will be just as exhillerating as today. I will write more about it later. Until then, I hope that everyone else is having at least half as much fun as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment